BREAKING: This spring the biggest homebrew comp in the country is coming to Boston. the Boston wort processors have been selected by the American Homebrewers Association as a new club/location for National Homebrew Competition round 1!!!!! Details about date, time, location, and other information are forthcoming
A friendly reminder that this Wednesday, September 19 at 7 pm the worts monthly meeting will be held at the Sam Adams Brewery in JP. As an added bonus we will be having a special presentation and q&a with worts who are award winning cider makers. This is a great opportunity to study up before the annual worts bulk cider buy!
One of the benefits of being a Boston Wort Processor member is the bulk grain buy. This year we are partnering with Stone Path Malt to bring bulk prices on sacks of grain to members. Head over to the Bulk Grain Buy page to order… While this is a members only event, joining the #worts is only a click away!
The next club meeting will be on Wednesday September 19th starting at 7pm at the Pickwick Pub at Samuel Adams Brewery in Jamaica Plain.
If you haven’t made it out to the newly renovated facilities at Samuel Adams, this is a great opportunity to not only check it out, but to get a behind the scenes look, and maybe some special surprises!
Stay tuned for details on the specific topics we will be covering, but you can be sure there will be some awesome homebrew!
Click the event listings for more information, such as location and times.
Location: Craft Beer Cellar Beercierge
- Congratulations to our National Homebrew Competition winners! And congratulations for the club as a whole for being called out at the
awards ceremony – we were within striking distance of the Homebrew
- HomebrewCon 2019 is in our backyard – Providence, RI. We should make sure to have a big presence there.-
- Competition season is ongoing. The next two MCAB competitions are the Blue Ridge Brew Off (http://www.blueridgebrewoff.com/) on Sep. 20, and New England Regional (http://www.bfd.org/NERHBC). The club is going to organize and pay for group shipping to Blue Ridge.
- Hops from the bulk hop buy are in! Get yours from J-Sap.
- September meeting location isn’t set yet. Watch this space.
- Possible plan for an upcoming meeting tasting: We’ll arrange to brew a very large batch that can be split to a bunch of members and ferment in various ways (temps, yeasts, ?)
- New people introduce themselves – three tonight.
- Advent Calendar homebrew box will be happening – if you want to participate, plan to have a case of homebrew ready for it by mid-November. Contact Nathan Williams for more information if you can’t wait until November.
- Boston Fermentation Festival is Sunday August 26th, at the Boston Public Market (100 Hanover St, Boston). A couple of Worts will be there representing homebrewing. More are welcome! Contact Matthew Dirckx if you’re interested.
- Treasurer’s report, for July 2018.
Expenditures: $579.85 T-shirts, BHC medals and prize shipping.
Income: $442.70 (membership dues)
Treasury total: $10822.66
- Tonight’s activity: Saison internal mini-competition. We have 13 entries; taste them all and rank your top three. Note that the style is quite broad!
- (after much tasting happens) Saison winners are (1) Nathan W (2) J-Sap (3) Steve S, by popular vote.